Hello, I’m Jess, a 30-something year old living in Mesa, Az with my husband and 7 year old daughter. We have a cat named Elvis and a Golden Retriever named Maggie!
I decided to start this little blog to help track my progress with running and weight loss. I have struggled with my weight and health for over 10 years – it was time to put things into action and get healthy. While working on my weight, I both discovered and fell in love with running! Who knew?!
I started my journey on August 5th, 2015 at 320 lbs. I suffered from plantar fasciitis for several years and it made it hard not only to walk but stand for long periods of time. Walking for 5 minutes felt like death, I lived on fast food and junk to top it off.
- Soda on July 29, 2013
- Red Meat on September 17, 2014
- Fast Food on August 23, 2015 (lasted 1 year)
- Fast Food again on December 19, 2016
As for my eating, I simply keep track of what I eat. I do not follow a diet or program, just my own thing. I have done Weight Watchers in the past many times, only to lose weight and gain it right back. I currently eat between 1,300 – 1,800 calories a day depending on my activity. Accepting the fact that I am a food addict and binge eater was my first step, I had to do something different that would turn into a lifestyle, not something temporary.
“What are you doing?!”
First off, I always recommend the book Savor by Thich Naht Hanh and Lilian Cheung, this is the book that got me started on my weight loss journey. I highly recommend this book to anyone, especially if you are a food addict and binge eater like myself! Here are some things I do daily to help me with my health and weight loss:
- Intuitive Eating – I watch for true hunger signs before grabbing something to eat. If it’s 2 hours after a meal, I’ll grab a healthy snack like fruit or give my snack some thought… if it’s been less than 2 hours after a meal, I know that I’m just craving or I’m bored so I work through it and grab some water.
- Exercise – I am fairly active, I don’t think of it as exercise I think of it as training, and I do it because I love it! I run, walk, yoga, and lift weights. Right now my weekly routine is:
- Mon – Wens – Fri – Sat = Run
- Tues – Thurs = Weights
- Everyday I try to do a 15-30 min yoga practice and walk
- Water – Lots of water! I aim for at least 100 oz a day, if not more.
- Cut out my triggers – I cut out my trigger foods. This included fast food, soda, most processed foods (some slips in), junk food, most added sugar foods (again, some slips in, haha), red meat, pork. I don’t have “cheat meals”, I just eat. If I feel like I want something sweet or really need a snack, I use mindfulness in what I choose. When I really want something specific, I’ll hold off till the weekend to have it… this helps me build willpower and control.
I am a body positive supporter and I believe everyone can learn to love themselves at any size! I also believe in self love and self care, this is important to me on my journey. I love my body at every stage and I honor myself daily. One of the most important tools on my weight loss is being body positive, I never talk poorly about my body.
The main goal I have is health and to feel good.